Organize, empower and enable people to mobilize their local resources to grow healthy and wealthy. SVO strongly urges that people can solve their own problems by themselves if they are assisted to do so. It believes that any community is not entirely poor for the reason that it has many resources mainly human around it. What is expected from development working organizations is filling the gap of development in a way that it should encourage target people to sense of confidence and self-support. Therefore, SVO’s responsibility is enabling communities to mobilize their own local resources to break yoke of poverty by themselves. SVO has a clear vision of enabling Ethiopian societies to be self-supportive and change their lives with the development from within. SVO believes that development cannot come by imposing it on people but it comes out from inside through attitudinal change towards development. It is to make them understand the dynamism of development that can personally internalized through attitudinal change. External resources harnessed to fill their gaps in improving livelihood or self-reliant business. Thus, Stand for Vulnerable Organization primarily focuses on awareness creation through continued training to enable target communities to see what potential they have from their life experiences and environment.
Following this, the target communities are encouraged to organize themselves into Sustainable Self Supportive Cells/Self Help Groups and start continuous saving. Organizing them into self-help groups has the following purposes:
- Enable them to learn from each other on how they can solve their personal problems in getting experiences shared on means of livelihood improvement at the group level.
- Give continuous training and counseling.
- Enable them to pool their scarce resources to group level through saving.
- Enable them to take loans from their deposit savings of their saving bank account so that they are able to run their own small business.
- Link these organized self help groups to micro finance institutions for loans and micro and small enterprise offices for certification and additional trainings.
- Link them to other government, non-governmental and business companies for the benefit in all respective areas they need.
- The self help groups are linked to line government offices and legalized to be cooperatives. This enables them to be access to loan and working plot of land from the government.
- Finally, lead them to capacity of running independent business, which in turn leads them to sustainable livelihood/means of employment.
Five Years Strategic Plan Document
The five-year (February 2013 – January 2018) strategic planning of SVO was developed by the management and approved by the General Assembly after thorough discussions within the organization. It has critically assessed directions of the organization and set its program priorities successfully. This strategic document directs SVO towards its commitment and all prospects in the coming five years. Please click here to down load and read SVO’s Five Years Strategic Planning (February 20013 – January 2018).